Are you thinking of buying a home in Olney MD? Looking for suitable homes for sale in Olney MD? But do you know everything about living in Olney? We at Magnolia Realty have brought you the various aspects and facts about Olney MD that will help you understand the city and make your home buying easy.
Interesting Facts about Olney:
- Olney is a small village that lies about 31 miles southwest of Baltimore and about 19 miles north of Washington DC.
- Until 1800, Olney was known as Mechanicsville.
- Olney is the home to a number of notable people like artist and film director Frank Miller and Joe Aitcheson, Jr. who was a jockey in the Racing Hall of Fame.
- Olney has once been awarded a spot on the “100 best places to live in the U.S.” by Money magazine.
Why Olney MD is a Great Place to Live?
- Population and Demographics of Olney, MD
Olney has a population of about 35,280. The demographics of Olney include about 63% Caucasian, 13% Asian, 11% Black or African American, and 9% Hispanic or Latino. The population contains about 52% female and 48% male.
- Things to Do in Olney
Olney MD will not disappoint you when it comes to finding fun activities for the residents. One of the top attractions include Oakley Cabin African American Museum & Park which is a stunning historic site that is worth a visit. Also, you can find hiking trails with picturesque views, the Cherrywood Local Park that provides access to multiple sports activities like a soccer field and basketball courts. Some of the other attractions include Field of Screams Maryland, Olney Winery and Olney Square Neighborhood Park. Moreover, you can enjoy convenient shopping all over Olney including places like CVS, the Olney Village Center, 7-Eleven, Safeway, and the Shoppes of Olney.
- Restaurants in Olney
Olney is a great place for food lovers with a number of restaurants. One of the top restaurants in Olney MD include Cava Mezze Olney, a Greek-style restaurant offering delicious food such as roasted salmon, mini gyros, braised beef, steak souvlaki, and grilled lamb chops. Another restaurant is Brew Belly, a locally-owned bar and grill that offers tasty dishes such as salads, hot pretzels, sausages and cheese steak sandwiches.
- Neighborhoods in Olney
According to reports crime rates in Olney are 48% lower than the national average making it a safe place to reside. The top neighborhoods in Olney include Avenel, Williamsburg Village and Briars Acres.
- Schools in Olney
Olney is home to the Montgomery County Public School District that is known for offering top-notch education. Some of the other top schools in Olney include Belmont Elementary School, Olney Elementary School, William H. Farquhar Middle School, Rosa M. Parks Middle School and Our Lady Of Good Counsel High School.
- Job Opportunities in Olney
Olney also provides numerous job opportunities with common career options such as business management, office administration, financial advisors, teachers, doctors, and lawyers. The popular industries in Olney include technical services, public administration, education, retail, healthcare, construction, finance, and insurance.
Pros and Cons of Living in Olney
- Conveniently located area for people working in Washington DC but seek a quaint lifestyle.
- One of the safest communities in the area.
- Cost of residing in Olney is higher than both the state and national averages.